Thursday, January 15, 2009

Happy New Year - a little late

This is my first official blog post of 2009. The first bit of this year has been a bit rocky and I am having a hard time shaking off the gloom. I can't seem to get in any kind of art-making groove. I wonder if I am avoiding being still and quiet.

Perhaps.

My thoughts are in a continual whirl. I cannot settle down. I have started the same stinkin' project three times. It's so bad, I did the unthinkable. I asked my husband for advice. He said not to force anything. Just to let it come naturally.

Gotta get the girls from basketball and then take Courtney to run indoor track at IU. I will finish this nailbiter when I get home.

It's now 9:53 - Home from track club. That's the best hunnerd bucks I've spent in a while. Court gets to run on the University's indoor track, get some good preseason coaching and knock off the rust before outdoor season starts in April AND I can walk or jog for an hour and a half four times a week. Pretty good when it's four whole degrees outside without wind chill. It's about 15 below with the wind right now. Hate it.

That's the little nugget at the heart of my art troubles. Whenever I think a negative thought like:
I hate the cold
or
I'm too tired
or
(when assessing my artwork) That looks awful
I get completely hung up on all the people we've lost in the last few months and I think that I'm lucky to even feel the cold or be around to chase my kids to and from all kinds of sports or to make art and then I feel completely guilty
and stuck.

sigh

1 comment:

Julaine said...

It's February and still cold...I know how you feeel. Sick of looking at snow, too - especially the dirty stuff.

May spring come soon, very soon for those of us in the Midwest ~