Okay. So the class I took last week was called something like "Printmaking for Book Artists", the primary focus being on ways to create images for books and multiple copies of books or images. We did carved stamps - I've done this before but still enjoy it. I made a set of interchangeable leaves, petals and centers and started a doll set with hair, faces and hats. Some of the flower parts work with the doll parts, too. We did the linoleum prints, like the sunflower reduction print in the last post and we did monotypes. To me honest, monotypes have never been too exciting to me. I hate "mono" anything - it means you go to a whole bunch of trouble and get ONE thing. But, surprise, I found a monotype that I liked: the traced "Gaugin" style monotype. I used photocopies from a book of flowers in the library. I varied the process slightly from the way Matt taught it, but it worked out. In the pages above (from a journal I have challenged myself to fill before school starts) the images are some of the photocopies I used.
monotypes. The monotype is on the left and the ghost is on the right. We used etching ink (oil-based) so I watercolored over the dry prints to give them a little flavor.