Saturday, August 08, 2009

Whooo, whooo?

Or is it Why? I have been thinking about retro owls lately. Not sure when it started. I have another week of summer vacation and I'm working on some shall we say, wearable creations. Yes, clothes. I'm making myself some clothes. How nerdy is that? I made a skirt a couple of weeks ago and bought the fabric to make another one from my favorite fabric store, Shiisa Quilts in Bloomington. When I bought the skirt fabric - I think it's Amy Butler - I bought 3 yards of a funky orange and brown floral from the clearance rack. I only wanted 2 yards, but you get a yard free when you buy 2. I used Simplicity pattern 3535, one of the Project Runway patterns, and made a top from the orange and brown. It was harder than beginner, but not too difficult. I did a bit of unsewing here and there to make sure it looked nice. The sleeves have a tie that was a little tricky, but it was fun to see it turn out right. I picked out a bit of the sleeves last night; need to resew. Some of the gathers at the shoulder didn't look clean and straight. The owl? Oh yeah...I was thinking that an owl applique on the lower left of the top would look cute and interesting for school. The print is kinda 70s and so is the owl. I don't want it to be too fussy or too weird.
But does that really matter anymore? Looking weird? I'm old enough to be a little eccentric AND I'm an art maker and art teacher. I think that's license to look a little different.
I was home alone yesterday afternoon. That's been happening a lot lately and I don't like it. I did something I haven't done all summer - I watched Oprah. Hated it. When she raises something besides a cocker spaniel, I'll take her parenting advice. Anywhoo - while she droned on and on, I worked on some owls in my art book, trying to figure out a simple pattern for my applique. Why didn't I change the channel?
I like the one in the upper right corner best. I think I'll make the owl then try it on the top before I applique it on there. About 6" tall? All prints, no solids? The little V feathers will be embroidered I think.
Should I bother to read The Time Traveler's Wife? I already read my one book for this summer - My Sisters Keeper - Painful. Jody Picoult is the female Nicholas Sparks. Somebody please tell her that Nicholas Sparks has got it covered. I HATED that book. I read it because the girls wanted to see the movie and I told them they had to read the book first. It was sitting there, so I picked it up. I skipped ahead to the end after about 6 chapters and was STUNNED at the lengths to which this so-called writer would go to tie up all the loose ends in a neat little bow around a great big shiny package of Are You Kidding Me. I am not unpleasable, but I do like books that show the messiness, the conflictedness of it all without the aforementioned bow-tying.
Some books I have read and liked:
Ethan Fromme by Edith Wharton
What Maisie Knew by Henry James
Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan - ANYTHING by Amy Tan
March by Geraldine Brooks - Go read this today
Valley of the Dolls by Jaqueline Suzann
Water for Elephants was ok, but Wally Lamb does opposite gender better than anybody. Whenever I read an author writing in the voice of the opposite gender, I always compare it to She's Come Undone. Picoult fails miserably in speaking in the attorney's voice in MSK. No man describes his own apartment as "sleek and modern". How did that even get past and editor?
So I am wary of movie books. I looked on Wikipedia to see the plot of the Time Traveler's Wife and it seemed a little Sparksy. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

3rdEyeMuse said...

I think all four owls look wonderful ... as for the movie, sorry, no thoughts. haven't read it & yet find myself sort of wanting to see the movie.

Heidi said...

I read a couple of books by Jennifer Weiner this summer. (Purchased at Goodwill)I think I was about 10 years too late in reading the ones I read. You know young women trying to balance a life with men, friends and baby all while trying to look good. I've seen the previews for the Time Traveler's Wife and it looks interesting. I wish I could see pictures of your skirt. The owls you did are fabulous and I think you should totally embellish your clothing. Check out this blog I follow for a really cute black t-shirt that is embellished with a cool tree. http://sara-mincy.blogspot.com/2009/08/funky-tree.html

Gwen said...

I just read your post about Jodi Picoult, and it cracked me up! I am always being given her books by one of my sisters-in-law, and I just KNEW that I didn't want to read them, and you have confirmed it for me. You also gave me a really good laugh!

I love your art, too, BTW!