Thursday, January 11, 2007

This year's project




Okay, here are the pages I worked on every day last year and my pages for this week so far. On this week's pages, I painted them both with coffee on Monday, did the dots on Tuesday, added the NOWs on Wedesday, both with caran d'ache, and started filling around the dots with the song lyrics today. It's fun to see the compostion develop over 7 days and let my ideas evolve. I love the planning out phase of a project, and this journal project is letting me plan more than the "art bite" type projects.

I DID decide to go with the song idea for now, anyway, until it bores me (probably in about 5 minutes). Last week was the Talking Heads' "And She Was", which came out when I was a freshman at IU. This week, it's "Your Life is Now" by the (contemporary) Hoosier Poet, John Mellencamp, who I have seen in concert twice. His current/third wife is Elaine Irwin of the Almay cosmetic ads. The have 2 boys about the same age as my girls. They live up the road a bit. I have seen Elaine and the boys shopping at Hobby Lobby. I have seen Mr Mellencamp out in public and it's excting, like seeing a rockstar. I have been toying around with the idea of doing a collection of artist books/ narrative paper sculptures based on his music, which has been a huge part of my life.


I keep thinking about songs I want to use in my book. There will be some Janis, some Sheryl, some Gwen, some Lenny, some old, some new, all cool.


No comments: