Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Paper Doll No.25


It's Wednesday and I have made no progress on my Somerset Paris submissions. Perhaps I will work a bit during Project Runway. That seems right - to make art during a show about making fashion. I'm making a doll with a fabulous qoute I found about Paris. I find myself nearly unable to create without the words. I NEED the words. Should I be able to say every thing I want to say (need to say) with just the visual? Are the words a crutch
or just my attempt to control the viewer's response? I think that's why I love the book form so much; words are just part of the deal. I don't consider myself to be a writer, but I am uncomfortable calling myself an artist. I am not a crafter, in the glue gun sense of the word, but I have been known to dabble in crafty stuff. The word "craft" is another problem I have. When I talk about Penland School of Craft, for instance, I find myself explaining the idea of "craft" in this sense. I'm a little defensive about being called "crafty" - I guess it seems a little dismissive. What is is famous - or infamous - people say when they get negative press? That's it's better to be talked about at all than to not be talked about.

peace, love and paper,
Debbi

No comments: