Sunday, June 24, 2007

Love

I make a conscious effort to think about people and things I love more than the stuff I hate, like greed and mean art. There is enough bad in the world without having it swirling around in my head all the time, too. I have been reminded recently of one of the things I love most about living in a small town of stayers.







Both of my girls still know the boys who were in the hospital nursery with them when they were born. I guess they are officially the girls' oldest friends. Courtney has Paul, a tall, skinny redhead with the nicest parents you'd ever want to know. Court and Paul have played on the same soccer teams on and off over the years. Whitley has Jon, quite tall and farmer-tanned. We don't see Jon as often, but every once in a while, he comes into our store with his auntie to buy new work boots. Friday was one such day. As soon as I saw it was Jon, I got Whit up to the counter to see her pal. They really didn't say much more than "hi". I guess it's a little awkward at this age. I talked to his aunt and we were both in disbelief at how grown up these two are. They will turn 15 in August; Whit is older by one day.





I also love a good project. I don't just play so much. I NEED a project. I NEED to feel like I am working towards a goal. I give myself deadlines and make myself meet them. Am I sick? This week the girls will be in soccer camp; Court from 9:00 - 4:00 and Whit from 1:00 - 7:00. My father in law is going on vacay and will not be at the shop, so I am going to work with J.R. and answer the phone and wait on customers. Kinda fun and I will have time to make art between customers. I can drag my stuff downstairs from my studio and have at it. I have decided on four projects that I want to make:


1. This is a must - a wedding guestbook that I am doing as gift. This is the first priority. I want to have this done by noon on Wednesday.


2. An art purse/tote with a flat bottom so it will stand up and lots of pockets. I am using canvas duck as the base and then doing crazy patch and scribble sewing on the top. Focal point/theme undecided. It will be revealed to me when the time comes.


3. A pair of art capris, like the art jeans I made after the quilt show. I am using a pair of khaki pants I got on the clearance at walmart for 3 bucks. I am doing - big shock - concentric circles, hearts and curliques. It's what I like right now.

4. A big, juicy livre d'artiste called 1967 with tie dyed pages, drawings and commentary on the events of the best year ever, MY year, 1967. I want to start hunting and gathering this week so I have all the stuff amassed and the book underway to work on at Hummingbird. I envision it to look like a funkfied history book.

I'll let you know how things are going. The pics are more pages from my the book I made at Arrowmont. This spread has a little slick to it, with the dragonfly being cut an redrawn on the next page.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Hi Debbi!

Enjoying your blog and the pics of the latest book are so neat. Let's see some pics of those art jeans. They sound wonderful...

Jill