Sunday, August 12, 2007

What I Did This Summer


How many kids will write that essay sometime in the near future? I go back tomorrow and the students start on Tuesday. One of the things I like about teaching is that our years have built-in times of reflection, planning and evaluation. The last day of summer vacation is one of those times. Here is a short list of stuff I did over the last 11 weeks.


Took the girls to the optometrist. Finished 5 quilts and accompanying article for Cloth Paper Scissors. Tie-dyed 12 t-shirts for JR's soccer team. Watched them win their tournament. Went to Arrowmont with Cheryl for a printmaking class. Took the girls to IU soccer camp for a week. Had my yearly eye exam. Worked on a book proposal with Cheryl. The girls had British Challengers Soccer Day Camp. Whit played in 3 high school basketball tournaments. I had my hair cut and colored twice. Court ran a 5k and had soccer almost every Saturday. Whit had basketball conditioning and soccer conditioning with girls teams and went to about three weeks of boys soccer practices as well. For the last two weeks, she has had girls soccer practice, sometimes twice a day. We went to Gatlinburg, TN over the Fourth. Interweave liked the proposal and Cheryl and I signed a contract to write a book. JR coached the girls and a few of their pals in a 3v3 soccer tournamnent and they won. I made those unis, too. I went to New Mexico for a week. Went to Santa Fe and the Georgia O'Keefe. Whit made varstiy soccer. I made lots of art, watched some tv, redid my blog and put songs on my ipod. I read one book - The Book of Bright Ideas and started another one, Color.
Oh yeah, and I turned 40.
It was a good summer and I have no reason to think this school year will be any different.

No comments: