Monday, April 16, 2007

Signs and Wonders


WOW. A lot has happened since we last visited.

I drove to Chicago - via the Dan Ryan Expressway - I wonder how people do THAT every day?

I saw the sun rising over the bare fields of Northern Indiana and the smokestacks in Gary, both of which were equally pretty to me. I saw the Chicago skyline, up close and personal and thought about the Twin Towers, which I never saw in person

I spent 2 days at the Quilt Show and met the BEST people. I met Pokey Bolton,editor of Cloth Paper Scissors and Quilting Arts, after knowing her thru email and phone for almost a year. She has a great new book out about ATCs (I have some cards in it). So many lovely people came by the Virtual Studio to visit and talk about art. Thanks to everybody who signed up for my classes at MIU. I was nervous that nobody would!

The strangest thing was meeting Cheryl Prater in person. It was like we had always known each other. People thought we had been friends for years and were shocked that Friday was the first time we had met face to face. Cheryl, I am so glad you sent me that email in December. I would have never done it.

Above is some of the fabric I bought. One booth had 15 fat quarters for $20!! I met the Artgirlz and bought some wool beads. Too much shopping too little time.

I drove home on Saturday and got into a bit of white out driving. It's mid April!

I saw a bald eagle on the highway near our house eating a carcass of some kind. The first time I ever saw one in the wild. Amazing.

5 comments:

e.beck.artist said...

how great that your art trip turned out so well....hooray for that!

Cheryl Prater said...

Debbi: The weirdest thing about it was that it wasn't weird. I did feel a little bit like a mail order bride, tho.

How cool are all our new friends?! What a bummer to be back to my regular life where nobody wants to paint with me. :) cher

His Office, My Studio said...

I have live in Chicagoland all my life and stay away from the Dan Ryan when possible. I do love the city and the skyline.

I hope you come back next year and maybe I can get in the make and take it class.

Also love your name and the spelling!!!!

I to am a Debbi.

Anonymous said...

Debbi

Thank you for the inspiration at the Quilt Show. I was so excited to meet you after seeing your way cool paper artwork in Cloth Paper Scissors (it was great you signed my magazine)! Your class inspired me to go home and stock up on my paper and embellishment supplies! It was great to meet you! I hope to have the opportunity again someday. Jennifer

random notes said...

I totally understand how it feels to get so taken in by the fabrics at the quilt show. Ever since we have been doing quilt shows in the southeast my stash of fabrics has grown from little baskets of cute little fabric pieces into huge baskets of fat quarters & 1/2 fat quarters (whatever they call them) Each time we do a show we learn more about the whole quilting thing like... chain piecing.Never knew that term or... how to do it. Now I see what I DON"T know about quilting. Thats ok... I love the fabric. I even found a store in Bozeman, Montana last week and couldn't resist buying a bag full.
Jane